Friday, May 25, 2012

Homemade Refried Beans

Before May of 2003, I was never a bean eater.  I don't remember eating beans very much in our house growing up and I just didn't like them.  Even when I went to the MTC in Sao Paulo where traditional Brazilian fare was served in the cafeteria, I avoided them.  I knew that in a cafeteria setting, my refusal to eat them wouldn't offend anyone and it would take two months off of my total time when I was required to eat beans in order to be a grateful guest in people's homes.

In Rio, where I served, black beans are the menu standard, and I quickly grew to like them.  It's a good thing, because I'm pretty sure they were offered at every single home I was invited to for the entire duration of my mission.

I love to make black beans at home, but recently have discovered that I also enjoy refried beans that come with the cheese enchiladas at one of our favorite little restaurants.  Spencer had started bringing home cans of refried beans, but something about that texture in a can just is not appealing to me.  So I started to look for good recipes, and found a good one.  This is turning into quite the introduction - here's the recipe:

1 onion peeled and halved
3 cups dry pinto beans
2 cups chicken broth
7 cups water
1 small can diced chilies
2-3 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/8 tsp ground cumin


You put everything in the crock pot and set it to high for 8 hours.  After 8 hours, strain the beans, reserving the liquid and then mash with a potato masher, adding in reserved liquid until desired consistency is achieved.  It made our house smell so good all day!  And I love that all of the ingredients are pretty healthy and it doesn't include lard or anything gross.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for a bean recipe of their own!


recipe adapted from here.

1 comment:

kwh said...

Yum! Do you think it would work with black beans? Zeke prefers refried black beans...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin