Saturday, October 27, 2007

Have You Ever

As a student of advertising at BYU, I was well aware that something was brewing that was going to change the face of the LDS church to the media. To change the whole system: the ads were to take a stand, make bold claims, open the doors for research to be done, and for members to share. Campaign ideas came and went. Story boards were reviewed. Concepts were softened. Professers sought student's opinions; students sought professor's opinions. Meetings with church leadership were a thing of frequency, as were the highly-anticipated updates of their response in classes like Media Planning, and Account Planning. Regardless of how much each was involved, we all felt very much like a part of the process. I think it's because we all felt like there was so much at stake. And I think it's safe to say that we can all feel good about the final product.



I think one of the coolest things about these ads is that it really is the voice of converts and investigators. The questions they ask or asked before coming to know the church. The TV ads are not scripted. They are not actors. They are converts talking genuinely about their experiences. Cool.
-Brandi Carlile-

4 comments:

Joanna said...

I am so glad to finally see these. You are right - they are so bold and touching. I love it!

Mandy said...

I agree! Very cool!

Kevin said...

a terrific post!

Katie said...

Betty Stevenson (the lady) was in my ward/neighborhood in California. This is way cool. The divide is getting wider between the church and the world. I love the bold stance.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin